Saturday, April 2, 2011

Shut Your Mouth and Listen

Have you ever glanced at someone and thought to yourself, "I wonder what their story is? I wonder how they got to where they are today?"

A couple of days ago, I was driving aimlessly around Los Angeles, waiting to pick up a friend from the airport. I got really annoyed with all of the crap playing on KISS-FM, so I just started hitting scan on my radio. I don't know what station it was, but this song came in crystal clear over the speakers, and has been stuck in my head ever since. 

Give Me Your Eyes
Brandon Heath, Jason Ingram





Everyday, we cross paths with people we don't know. Most of the time, we don't even notice them. We may glance at them, but we make sure not to make eye contact with them. But sometimes there are those people that catch your eye. There is just something about them that screams, "Look at me and ask me how I am doing today! I need someone. Anyone!" 

I believe that every once in awhile, God gives us His eyes. The people that we come into contact with day in and day out are there for a reason. They may be there to encourage us in some way, or they may be placed into our lives for us to encourage them. You tend to see a lot of different kinds of people everywhere you go these days. Sometimes, usually only for a few moments, I feel like God gives me true compassion for those people around me. Even complete strangers. I think that the longer I get to know the character of Jesus, the more compassion I personally have for others. 'Give Me Your Eyes' is saying; 'Jesus give me your eyes so that I can see people the way you see people, so I can love people the way you love people.' It is one thing to have compassion and quite another to act on it. Most times, it starts with the people around you. 

In order to fully embrace this, though, we have to take the blinders off from our eyes, and look past ourselves. When we see someone, and ask them how they are doing, we have to be genuine with our words, and quiet when they respond. People will talk if you let them. You just have to be patient enough to sit there and listen. 

As someone who has been the person screaming out for attention and love from people, I would encourage you to make eye contact with everyone you come into contact with. Honestly, you never know what someone is truly going through. People are good at masking their emotions. But if you truly look at someone and ask them how they are REALLY doing, you could be changing their life. 

And as someone who has asked the hard questions to others, and listened to stories of hurt and heartbreak, I encourage you to do the same. Ask the hard questions. Really listen to their stories. And above all, see them through God's eyes, and show them compassion. 

No comments: